There was so much amazing music in 2020. 2020 saw more singles/EP’s than albums. In 2019 I had 612 albums and this year I only had 447. I narrowed that down to the Top 100, then Top 50, and now it’s the Top 30 albums of 2020!
I have several rules I work with when getting to my Top 30 list:
- In order for an album to qualify, the album must be in my library, either through purchasing it on my own or given to me by the band or label. There were quite a few albums released in 2020 that were not provided to me by the band/label or I was not able to purchase.
- To qualify it must be an album. There are plenty of lists out there for “top songs” that cover singles and EPs.
- To qualify as an album it must have at least seven original songs. Remixes, new versions, cover albums, compilations, and “best of” do not qualify. Intro and outro songs as well as brief intermission style songs do not count toward the total of original songs. This year instrumentals no longer counted since I stopped playing instrumentals on the show.
- All albums are weighted so that an album with 7 songs has the same point system as an album with 12 songs.
- I judge each song individually. Then rate the album overall based on the individual song scores, the listenability of the entire album, etc.
- I post the lists alphabetically and do not list or post them in a “countdown” style.
I fully recognize that my list is subjective and that others will have different lists or disagree with my choices. I love that others have different lists and are passionate about different bands and albums! Regardless, listen to the music and give it all a chance. I have “LISTEN HERE” links next to each album title, so give each band and album a chance and listen and support the bands you like!
While I don’t list the albums in a 30 to 1 list, I think the highest rated album deserves to be recognized: my Number One Album of 2020 is “Singularity” by Voicecoil.
The Synthentral Top 30 Albums of 2020 (in alphabetical order):