There was so much amazing music in 2021. Bands released more singles and EP’s this year than albums, so I started with just under 450 albums to rate.
First step was to get that down to 100 for the Top 100. Then I removed 50 more for the Top 50, and finally I had to remove an additional 20 for the Top 30 (here we are), which will have a corresponding show with one song from each album (pending).
Here are the rules and guidelines I work with for my Top 2021 lists:
- I must own the album to consider it (either through purchase or provided by band or label).
- Only albums qualify: no EP’s or Singles. There are plenty of lists out there for “top songs.”
- To qualify as an album it must have at least seven original songs. Remixes, new versions, covers albums, compilations (“best of”), etc., do not qualify. Intro and outro songs, instrumentals, and intermission songs do not count toward the song total.
- Albums are weighted so that an album with 7 songs has the same point system as an album with 12 songs.
- I judge each song individually, then rate the album overall. Did I want to listen to the entire album? Were there songs I wanted to skip? Was I engaged as a listener and fan?
- I post the lists alphabetically and not in “countdown” style.
I fully recognize that my list (and everyone’s list, for that matter) is subjective. I love that others have different lists and are passionate about different bands and albums! I hope you agree with many fo these, but I also hope you have some favorites that aren’t on my list, but more importantly, I hope these lists introduce you to a band or album you may have missed in 2021!
I have “LISTEN HERE” links next to each album cover below, so give each band and album a chance, and support the bands you like!
The Synthentral Top 30 for 2021 (in alphabetical order):